Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Atlanta 2017
Announcing the Olmsted Plein Air Invitational April 2-9, 2017
ATLANTA – Atlanta, Georgia’s third annual Olmsted Plein Air Invitational is proudly presented by the Organizing Committee on Sunday, April 2 through Sunday, April 9, 2017, and is dubbed “the hottest new competition” by Plein Air Today Magazine. Contemporary Impressionist paintings of Atlanta will be created and sold.
Carefully juried master plein air painters are invited to produce artworks “in the open air” (as opposed to in the studio) portraying (and documenting) Atlanta. Master artists from across the United States and internationally were tapped by three Selection Jurists to compete for the Olmsted Best in Show and a generous purse.
This year, 30 highly recognized artists will paint across the city of Atlanta, in Piedmont Park, at the Atlanta History Center, in downtown Decatur, The Shops Buckhead Atlanta and return to the historic Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr. six-segment Linear Park for the final weekend. The original masterpieces created this week will be judged by three prestigious Awards Jurors: Dan Amos, Clyde Aspevig and West Frazier, each an internationally recognized collector and painter. They will jointly bestow the Best in Show, many awards and the rich purse.
All paintings will be sold ‘off the easel” at ticketed preview events, sold after judging at the Collectors and Artists Awards Soirée, and at a public art sale during the final day.
- During the week-long event, the public has the opportunity to observe plein air artists create finished paintings before their eyes and purchase paintings that speak to them
- Approximately 20,000 people are anticipated to participate in the week-long event
- Artists Village 2017 programming includes artists’ demonstrations, workshops, exhibits, lectures, music and more staged in the Olmsted Linear Park on Ponce de Leon Blvd.
- The Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Paint Quick on Sunday, April 9 is open to any artist (and HS/College Art Students) with $25 and ambition. For two hours invited artists and local enthusiasts will paint original works in Atlanta’s Olmsted Linear Park. The event culminates in an outdoor judging and exhibition and with sales immediately following. High School and College Art Students may apply for a Scholarship, which includes a Paint Quick tuition waiver and a bounty of art materials provided by Binders Art Supplies.
- Contemporary Impressionist paintings produced during the event and entered into competition will be judged by a prestigious panel of judges including Dan Amos, Clyde Aspevig and West Fraser at the Collectors and Artists Awards Soirée (April 8), and to the public on Sunday, April 9..
- The top 30 competing plein air artists include recent winners of the Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, as well as new-to-Atlanta esteemed Laguna Beach Plein Air, Door County Plein Air and Easton Plein Air plein air winners.
- Friends of Olmsted Plein Air and Corporate Sponsors will have the opportunity to meet invited painters throughout the week at both complimentary events and ticketed events. Become a Friend or Sponsor online, The public is also welcomed. 2017 Highlights include: Artists Welcome Dinner, the Artists Mingle, and Twilight Decatur (all ticketed events). Find the full schedule and secure ticket sales online at OlmstedPleinAir.com.
- The non-profit Olmsted Plein Air Invitational (501c3 on file) benefits its stated educational mission, and will provide a number of scholarships to Paint Quick for qualified High School and College Art students. Corporate donors and in-kind media sponsors are welcomed.
- Collectors Preview Gallery on February 28 (ticketed) showcases the Invited Artists’ styles, while Cartersville partner Booth Western Art Museum will showcase the 2017 Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Artists at their March 9 reception at the Booth Museum (invitation only).
About Olmsted Plein Air Invitational.
The Olmsted Plein Air Invitational is at the center of the modern plein air movement, the most popular contemporary art movement of our time, often called contemporary Impressionism. America’s top master outdoor painters offer collectors and the public paintings done in the plein air style. The Olmsted Plein Air is a 501(c)3 non profit organization that is dedicated to nurturing the visual and cultural art education and experience through the art of plein air painting.
You are invited to experience the vibrancy and artistic excellence of the Olmsted Plein Air Invitational this spring. For details about invited artists and schedule of events please visit www.olmstedpleinair.com. If you are interested in becoming a Friend or a Corporate Sponsor, please send an email to email@example.com or call 404-474-7309.